Information, Referral and Assistance
It can be so frustrating to call an agency or organization needing information or assistance and get the wrong answer or no answer at all. It is even more frustrating to request information and to be referred to five or six sources only to be re-referred to the person you called first. We provide impartial and accurate Information and Referral Assistance to consumers in response to calls, walk-ins, or written requests. Vantage Point staff as well as Patient Advocates in each of CareSouth Carolina medical centers are available. If you or someone you know is in need of help and you do not know who to call — we can help.
- Call 843-383-8632 or toll free at 866-505-3331.
Regional Long Term Care Ombudsman
We serve as the safeguard and advocate for our residents living in long term care facilities like nursing homes. We seek to uphold their rights and improve their quality of care. We are who you contact if there is an issue related to the following at a long term care facility: Admissions; Transfer/Discharge; Privacy; Quality of Life & Care; Food; Resident’s Rights; Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation; Medications. This is the only program of its kind that is totally devoted to the concerns of facility residents.
The Long Term Care Ombudsman
- Investigates complaints and works to resolve problems affecting residents
- Educates community and facility staff about residents’ rights
- Promotes resident, family and community involvement in long term care facilities
- Visits facilities to talk with residents and monitor conditions
Vantage Points Regional Long Term Care Ombudsmen provide services to the six counties in the Pee Dee Region: Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Marion and Marlboro Counties.
- Individuals may contact the Regional Long Term Care Ombudsmen’s office by calling 843-383-8632 or toll free at 866-505-3331.
Regional Family Caregiver Support Program
The Family Caregiver Support Program was created to help families care for an older relative who has a chronic illness or disability. The term “Family Caregiver” means an adult family member or an individual who is an informal provider of in-home and community care to an older individual (60 years or older). The Family Caregiver Support Program also includes services to grandparents (over 60) raising grandchildren 18 and under.
- Information about available resources such as adult day centers, in-home care providers, and support groups;
- Individual counseling and support
- Caregiver education and training
- Assistance locating and linking with services such as Community Long Term Care and local council on aging providers;
- Limited financial assistance for help with household modifications, short-term respite, health care supplies, nutritional supplements, etc.
- Call 843-383-8632 or toll free at 866-505-3331.
The Senior Medicare Fraud Patrol
The Senior Medicare Fraud Project is a collaborative effort between the South Lieutenant Governor’s Office on Aging and CareSouth Carolina to help eliminate fraud in Medicare.
The goals of the program are:
- to increase public awareness
- to reduce the incidence of fraudulent practices
- to encourage self monitoring and the reporting of fraud
- to encourage volunteer participation.
In order to raise awareness about Medicare Fraud, Vantage Point Staff and volunteers give presentations at local Senior Centers, Nutrition Sites, Community Centers, Faith Based Entities and Civic Groups as well as provide one-on-one assistance with individuals.
- Call 843-383-8632 or toll free 866-505-3331.
Medicare Information Services
I-CARE is Insurance Counseling Assistance and Referral for Elders — Medical coverage for seniors can be very confusing. The I-CARE specialists at Vantage Point help seniors get straight answers to their questions concerning Medicare, Supplemental Insurance, Medicaid, Long Term Care Insurance and other health insurance questions. Counselors provide information about enrollment, benefits, billing and claims, and assist in screening applicants for insurance and financial assistance programs, Medication Management and Indigent Medication Assistance. These services are provided by telephone, in the home, in the office, at senior centers, and at health fairs — free of charge.
- Call 843-383-8632 or 877-505-3331.
Lawn Care Project
The Lawn Care Project provides Limited assistance to seniors in the Pee Dee Region who meet the eligibility and financial requirements of the program.
Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Voucher Program
The voucher program is a collaborative effort between the Department of Social Services and CareSouth Carolina. This program provides fresh nutritiously locally grown fruits and vegetables from markets to our senior population.
Each eligible person receives $25 worth of coupons that may be used at participating markets from June until October 15. The coupons are issued on a first come first serve basis until the supply is exhausted.
The goals of the program are to supplement the diet of low-income seniors with fresh, nutritious produce and to support South Carolina’s small farmers. Over 5000 individuals are served in the Pee Dee Region each year.
Pee Dee Area Agency on Aging
As an Area Agency on Aging, Vantage Point works with other agencies throughout Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Marion and Marlboro counties to provide community services that allow older adults to live at home with independence and dignity.
||Enables individuals to get to necessary destinations
||Nutritious meals and fellowship provided in a community setting
|Home Delivered Meals
||Balanced meals to the home-bound elderly
||Disease prevention, health education and physical fitness activities to encourage wellness
||In-home assistance with chores such as shopping, laundry, cleaning and meal preparation
||Informing Elders of their legal rights and benefits, making referrals and providing community education